Citrix released XenServer 5.6 SP2 – arguably a minor update compared to the previous FP1, nevertheless introducing new functionality in addition to bug fixes:
XenServer 5.6 Feature Pack 2 includes number of new features and ongoing improvements, including:
- IntelliCache. Using XenServer with IntelliCache makes hosted Virtual Desktop Infrastructure deployments more cost-effective by enabling you to use a combination of shared storage and local storage. The load on the storage array is reduced and performance is enhanced. See the XenServer Service Pack 2 Installation Guide for more information on this feature.
- WorkLoad Balancing Installation Improvements. Choice of English or Japanese language available on installation screens.
- Local Storage Spans All Physical Volumnes. When EXT local storage is used (e.g. when the “Use thin provisioning” is selected in the host installer, on a host containing multiple physical disks, the local Storage Repository (SR) now spans all the disks in a single LVM volume group.
- Reset-on-boot VM behaviour. Disks with the “on-boot” option set to “reset”, is now available for disks in any type of SR. (Previously it was only available for disks in NFS and EXT SRs.)
- Block SCSI Generic Support. BSG support added enabling full compatibility with Emulex and QLogic management functionatility.
- Enhanced guest OS support. Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.
For further details including bug fixes please see the Release Notes.
The Virtualizationmatrix has been updated accordingly.